Super Easy Fish Pie with Roquefort Mash
- 1 quantity mashed potato (see below)
- 500g white fish fillets, skinless & boneless
- 250g smoked fish fillets, skinless & boneless
- 600ml milk
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 black peppercorns
- 50g butter
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 2tbsp plain flour
- 250g small uncooked prawns, peeled
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 2tbsp chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 20g butter
THE ROQUEFORT MASHED POTATO
- 1kg Maris Piper potatoes, peeled and cut into chucks
- 100-125ml milk
- 75-100g butter, cubed
- 100g Roquefort, crumbled
- Begin by making the mashed potato to the recipe below:
- ROQUEFORT MASHED POTATO:
- Place the potatoes in a large saucepan and add enough water to just cover them, plus a pinch of salt. Bring to the boil and cook for 20 minutes. Drain and return to the pan. Cook over a low heat for 1-2 minutes to get rid of any remaining liquid.
- Heat the milk in a small saucepan over a medium heat.
- Mash the potatoes with the butter and crumbled Roquefort, gradually adding the hot milk until they reach the desired consistency. Be careful not to add too much liquid.
- Beat well with a wooden spoon to fluff up the potato, then season.
- Then heat the oven to 180°C.
- Flake the fish into bite-sized pieces. Place the fish, milk, bay leaf and peppercorns in a saucepan over a medium heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Strain the mixture, reserving the fish and the milk.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan. Add the shallots and cook for about 8 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the flour, stir well and cook for 1 minute. Bring the mixture to the boil, whisking frequently, and cook until smooth and thickened. Allow to cool.
- Add the prawns, cayenne pepper and parsley to the bowl containing the fish pieces and pour over the sauce. Add a little extra milk to the mixture if it appears too thick, then season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon the mixture into an ovenproof dish and spread over the cheesy mashed potato. Dot with the extra butter. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until golden and bubbling. Serve immediately with steamed vegetables.
Use our hashtag!
I am so excited that you are making a recipe and would love to see how it turns out. Make sure to use the hashtag on social media!
creamy fish piefish piefish pie recipefish pie recipe vivre le revefish pie Roquefortfish pie with pastryluxury fish pie