Super Easy Fish Pie with Roquefort Mash
- 1 quantity mashed potato (see below)
- 500g white fish fillets, skinless & boneless
- 250g smoked fish fillets, skinless & boneless
- 600ml milk
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 black peppercorns
- 50g butter
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 2tbsp plain flour
- 250g small uncooked prawns, peeled
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 2tbsp chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 20g butter
THE ROQUEFORT MASHED POTATO
- 1kg Maris Piper potatoes, peeled and cut into chucks
- 100-125ml milk
- 75-100g butter, cubed
- 100g Roquefort, crumbled
- Begin by making the mashed potato to the recipe below:
- ROQUEFORT MASHED POTATO:
- Place the potatoes in a large saucepan and add enough water to just cover them, plus a pinch of salt. Bring to the boil and cook for 20 minutes. Drain and return to the pan. Cook over a low heat for 1-2 minutes to get rid of any remaining liquid.
- Heat the milk in a small saucepan over a medium heat.
- Mash the potatoes with the butter and crumbled Roquefort, gradually adding the hot milk until they reach the desired consistency. Be careful not to add too much liquid.
- Beat well with a wooden spoon to fluff up the potato, then season.
- Then heat the oven to 180°C.
- Flake the fish into bite-sized pieces. Place the fish, milk, bay leaf and peppercorns in a saucepan over a medium heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Strain the mixture, reserving the fish and the milk.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan. Add the shallots and cook for about 8 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the flour, stir well and cook for 1 minute. Bring the mixture to the boil, whisking frequently, and cook until smooth and thickened. Allow to cool.
- Add the prawns, cayenne pepper and parsley to the bowl containing the fish pieces and pour over the sauce. Add a little extra milk to the mixture if it appears too thick, then season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon the mixture into an ovenproof dish and spread over the cheesy mashed potato. Dot with the extra butter. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until golden and bubbling. Serve immediately with steamed vegetables.
Use our hashtag!
I am so excited that you are making a recipe and would love to see how it turns out. Make sure to use the hashtag on social media!