Here’s How to Make Your Own Mascara
Unlike most of the beauty recipes on Vivre Le Rêve, DIY mascara uses some unusual ingredients that aren’t budget friendly. I absolutely love the results of this recipe, so I still make it often, but if you don’t already have these ingredients at home, buying an organic mascara might be a better option. When it comes down to it, we are all looking for a similar effect, right? A wand that doesn’t make your lashes clump together, a formula that doesn’t smudge and zero irritation. Unfortunately, with all of the chemicals that are in store bought versions, this can sometimes be difficult to achieve.
Conventional mascara is full of synthetic waxes, pigments, solvents, preservatives and fragrances. Natural alternatives are becoming increasingly popular among people who want to minimise their exposure to harmful chemicals, especially around the sensitive eye area. Luckily, natural and organic versions have come on leaps and bounds in the past few years, and gone are the days where you purchase a natural or organic version, and it ends up under your eyes with just so much of a sniff at a teary eye
- 1/4 tsp Black mineral powder (One jar of mineral powder will make 15+ batches of mascara.)
- 1/4 tsp Bentonite Clay (Any cosmetic clay should work.)
- 1/8 tsp (about 4 drops) Vegetable Glycerin
- 1/4 tsp (plus more if needed) Aloe Vera
- 5 drops Lavender Essential Oil
- A clean mascara container.
- A medicine dropper
- A small spatula.
What to Do:
- Mix all ingredients in a very small bowl until completely smooth.
- Add more aloe vera gel as needed to get a smooth consistency.
- Put into the medicine dropper with a spatula and slowly squirt into the container
- Use as you would regular mascara.