How to Make Macarons
- 3 large egg whites, room temperature
- 55 grams superfine sugar (granulated sugar in food processor until fine)
- 200 grams icing sugar
- 110 grams almond flour
- ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
- pinch salt
- food coloring, optional
Raspberry Buttercream Filling
- 8 tbsp butter, unsalted, softened
- 125g raspberries, fresh
- 1 and ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 455-680g icing sugar, sifted well
- pinch salt
- Place room temperature egg whites in mixer bowl.
- With whisk attachment, whisk at medium speed until foamy, this should take about a minute.
- Add superfine granulated sugar and mix until VERY stiff peaks form. You should be able to reverse the whisk and have the peak stands tall without falling.
- Mix in any food coloring, and mix just until combined.
- In different bowl, sift together almond flour and icing sugar. Repeat and sift a total of 4-5 times, removing any large pieces left behind after each sift.
- Add almond flour mix to stiffened egg whites.
- Lightly, take your rubber spatula and roll it around the edge of the bowl and fold the mixture over itself. Resist the desire to drag the spatula around and stir. It will look like it just isn’t mixing and that you have too much of the almond mix. Keep going. Until you really get the hang of it, I recommend that you count your folding strokes.
- Aim for about 60-70 folds. Once you get to about 50, you’ll see things have started to magically combine and mix like you never thought would happen when you started. fold until you can ribbon an “8” that holds into the batter. This should take about 60-70 proper strokes. THIS is the most important step in proper macarons.
- Add food coloring here if desired.
- Pipe macaron circles onto paper-lined baking trays.
- Let the shells rest for 30 minutes to form hardened tops.
- Bake at 150°C for about 16 minutes. Be sure your oven temperature is exact.
- Remove and let cool completely before removing from baking sheets.
- Add softened butter to mixer. Whip until smooth.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix until smooth. Add more icing sugar as needed for tight enough texture.
- Pipe filling between two shells and enjoy!
Use our hashtag!
I am so excited that you are making a recipe and would love to see how it turns out. Make sure to use the hashtag on social media!