Perfect For Christmas – Freeze-ahead Roast Potatoes
- 2½ kg potatoes, peeled
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 140g goose fat
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- Leave small potatoes whole, but halve large and medium potatoes.
- Tip the potatoes into a pan of cold salted water and bring to the boil. Boil for 6 mins exactly, then drain and leave to steam-dry for a few minutes. Toss in a colander to fluff up the sides of the potatoes.
- Transfer to a bowl. Shake over the flour, some salt and pepper, and toss well to combine. Spoon over 100g of the fat and toss to coat evenly.
- Lay the potatoes on a tray lined with baking paper and freeze.
- Once frozen, the potatoes can be transferred to a freezer bag for easy storage before Christmas. These can be frozen for up to 3 months.
- When ready to cook, heat oven to 200C. Pour remaining fat and the oil into a baking tray and put in the oven.
- When the fat is sizzling, carefully add the potatoes, then roast for 25 minutes. Remove tray, then increase oven to 220C.
- Turn over the potatoes and return to the oven for a further 40 minutes until golden and crisp.
Use our hashtag!
I am so excited that you are making a recipe and would love to see how it turns out. Make sure to use the hashtag on social media!