- 500g of aubergines
- 500g of mushrooms
- Salt, pepper, flour, olive oil
- 250g of mozzarella cheese
- 60g Parmesan
- 150ml of your favourite jar tomato sauce – or you can make fresh, instructions below.
- Peel the aubergines and mushrooms, and cut them into thin slices. Salt them and put them into a colander to drain for an hour or two.
- Dust them with flour, fry them gently in oil, and drain them on kitchen paper.
- Put a little oil in the bottom of a roasting dish or deep cake tin. Put in a layer of the aubergines and mushrooms, and cover with thin slices of mozzarella and then the tomato sauce. Continue in this way until they’re are all used up. Cover with the grated Parmesan and sprinkle oil over the top. Cook at 180˚C (gas mark 4) for 20-30 minutes.
- If making your own tomato sauce: Heat 6 tbsp of olive oil in a frying pan. Add several sliced cloves of garlic, depending on how garlicky you like it, and after about 30 seconds add 750g of chopped, skinned ripe tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper and leave to simmer for about 5 minutes, finish with a sprinkle of fresh basil.
Use our hashtag!
I am so excited that you are making a recipe and would love to see how it turns out. Make sure to use the hashtag on social media!