How to Make Summer Slow-roasted Tomatoes
- About 10 large, ripe tomatoes
- Olive oil
- 2tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1-2tsp caster sugar
- Salt and pepper
- Heat the oven to 140°C.
- Lightly brush two baking trays with a little olive oil.
- Rinse and dry the tomatoes.
- Cut each one in half length ways and place cut side up on the prepared trays.
- Lightly drizzle with olive oil, then add the thyme, a sprinkle of sugar and some salt and pepper.
- Roast for around 2-2½ hours, or until they are lightly dried and darkened. As a result the tomatoes should have shrunk to about half of their original size and should not be wet. Remove from the oven when done and set aside to cool.
- Once the tomatoes have cooled to room temperature, you can cook with them immediately or freeze in small batches.
- They can also be layered in a sterilized glass jar adding a couple of garlic cloves and a few leaves of thyme, and then covered with olive oil. Seal the jar and shake gently to dislodge any air bubbles and store them in the fridge for up to 4 weeks.
Use our hashtag!
I am so excited that you are making a recipe and would love to see how it turns out. Make sure to use the hashtag on social media!
how to roast tomatoes in oven quicklyslow roasted tomatoesslow roasted tomatoes balsamicslow roasted tomatoes pastaslow roasted tomatoes tescoslow roasted tomatoes vivre le reveslow roasting tomatoes to freeze