Here’s What You Can Prepare In Your Garden This October
- Gather up any fallen leaves and store in hessian sacks for leafmould next year.
- Cut down faded stems but don’t be too tidy: leave seedheads for the birds.
- Compost any summer bedding plants.
- It’s a great time to divide established rhubarb crowns to create new plants.
- Move fragile plants into a greenhouse or conservatory.
- Harvest apples, pears, grapes and nuts.
- Prune climbing roses.
- It’s probably your last chance to mow lawns and trim hedges in mild areas.
- Add an aster to help brighten the autumn border: the free-flowering daisies include the lavender-blue Aster frikartii Monch and the Aster novae-angliae Harrington’s Pink.