Spaghetti Bolognese is a classic Italian dish that is loved all over the world. Here’s an easy spaghetti bolognese recipe that’s delicious and hearty:
- 450g minced beef
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 60ml red wine
- 450g spaghetti
- Grated parmesan cheese for serving
- Heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the minced beef and cook until browned, breaking up the meat into small pieces as it cooks.
- Add the onion, garlic, carrot, and celery to the pan and cook for 5-7 minutes until the vegetables have softened.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, tomato puree, oregano, basil, salt, and black pepper to the pan. Stir to combine.
- Pour in the red wine and bring the sauce to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low and let the sauce simmer for 30-45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While the sauce simmers, cook the spaghetti in a large pot of salted boiling water until al dente.
- Drain the spaghetti and toss it with the bolognese sauce. Serve with grated parmesan cheese on top.
Enjoy your delicious homemade Spaghetti Bolognese!
If you want to add some extra flavour and depth to your spaghetti bolognese, you can add a splash of balsamic vinegar or Worcestershire sauce to the sauce while it simmers.
Another option is to add some diced pancetta or bacon to the pan with the vegetables to add a smoky flavour to the sauce.
You can also use a combination of ground beef and ground pork or veal for a richer flavour.
If you want to make the sauce ahead of time, you can store it in the fridge for up to 3 days or freeze it for up to 3 months. Just be sure to let it cool completely before storing it.
To reheat the sauce, thaw it in the fridge overnight (if frozen) and then heat it in a saucepan over medium heat until heated.
Finally, when serving the spaghetti bolognese, garnish it with some fresh chopped parsley or basil to add a pop of colour and freshness.