- About 10 large, ripe tomatoes
- Olive oil
- 2tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1-2tsp caster sugar
- Salt and pepper
- Heat the oven to 140°C.
- Lightly brush two baking trays with a little olive oil.
- Rinse and dry the tomatoes.
- Cut each tomato in half length ways and place cut side up on the prepared trays.
- Lightly drizzle the tomatoes with olive oil, then add the thyme, a sprinkle of sugar and some salt and pepper.
- Roast for around 2-2½ hours, or until the tomatoes are lightly dried and darkened. As a result the tomatoes should have shrunk to about half of their original size and should not be wet. Remove from the oven when done and set aside to cool.
- Once the tomatoes have cooled to room temperature, you can cook with them immediately or freeze in small batches.
- They can also be layered in a sterilized glass jar adding a couple of garlic cloves and a few leaves of thyme, and then covered with olive oil. Seal the jar and shake gently to dislodge any air bubbles and store them in the fridge for up to 4 weeks.
Use our hashtag!
I am so excited that you are making a recipe and would love to see how it turns out. Make sure to use the hashtag on social media!