Testing Out The Garmin Drive Assist 51LMT-D EU Sat Nav with Dash Cam
It’s the time of year where we all start to look forward to any getaways we have planned and to coincide with this we’re currently covering lots of holiday topics on Vivre Le Rêve. You can read about the highly recommended Antler suitcases here. I know that some of our readers are holidaying in the UK this year and what better way to ensure your staycation goes according to plan than with a Garmin Drive Assist 51LMT-D EU Sat Nav with Dash Cam?
Regular readers will know that we’ve reviewed dash cams on Vivre Le Rêve before (you can read about the Nextbase 212G HD Dash Cam here). However, this one is indeed a bit special!
It works well. The maps are clear and I particularly like the photo shot of road junctions that pop up along with the verbal instructions, especially useful at complex motorway junctions. Also useful is info for Filling Stations, restaurants and points of interests. The verbal instructions are clear and the voice less irritating than my last device. It is simple to find an address or venue but you do need to check which Country you are in within the UK if it can’t find the post code/address! The dash cam was easy to set up and having a couple of close calls on country roads I much appreciated having it as a safety feature.
All in all, I am amazed at what this can do! I’ve had it several weeks now and I’m very impressed with the voice activation. Once connected to my phone, I can make hands free calls by voice command. When my phone receives a text message, it shows it on the sat nav screen. And if you can’t read it, press a button and it speaks the message. So many commands can be requested, which sometimes means you don’t need to touch the sat nav. I found that once I’d updated the software and maps that most routes were calculated in reasonable time, certainly no slower than my previous sat nav from a major competitor.
In route recalculation has been pretty quick and the routes recommended in general the most efficient ones. As are the photos of junctions and lane warnings. The traffic moving function is perhaps a little too quick but that’s a minor grumble. As is the lane swerve warning but would rather it was there then wasn’t. I’ve have had no troubles with the voice command function although sometimes need to turn the radio down first so it can hear you. Traffic updates and alternative routes have again proven to be helpful. And the dash cam works admirably.
The DriveAssist 51LMT-D sat nav from Garmin boasts advanced driver alerts such as Forward Collison Warning and has a built-in dash camera that will record your journeys. While Garmin DriveAssist tells you everything coming up on the road ahead. From sharp bends and railway crossings to traffic jams and speed cameras. With a lifetime of European map updates, you can enjoy full support behind the wheel for years to come. Plus camera-assisted driving that helps keep an eye out for you. It’s like having a real life navigator sitting right next to you!
Capture those incidents – with a compact built-in dash camera that continuously records your drive. Plus optional in-vehicle audio recording, the Incident Detection G-sensor will also automatically save video footage on impact. GPS records exactly when and where the events occurred and you can easily play back video footage right on the device.
Out-smart traffic jams and no-spaces car parks – the Garmin DriveAssist 51LMT-D will help you save time and find alternative routes to avoid traffic disruption; then live on-street parking updates as you get nearer to your destination will save you time looking for somewhere to leave your car.
Smarter driving – innovative driver awareness features will tell you when traffic in front of you has started to move. Alerts you if you’re driving too closely to the vehicle ahead, and if you drift off the road or into oncoming traffic. Plus it will also offer lane departure warning alerts.
Get connected – when you sync your Bluetooth-enabled smartphone to Garmin DriveAssist. You get great features that let you stay connected without taking your hands off the wheel. That means you can see incoming calls, text messages and calendar reminders without even having to reach for your phone.
An in-car navigator – DriveAssist provides driver alerts for sharp curves, speed changes, railway crossings and animal crossings. To help give you more understanding of unfamiliar roads. Additionally, it will warn you when you’re driving the wrong way on a one-way street. And alert you to nearby schools and school zones. Receive notifications for nearby red light cameras and speed cameras. And even get fatigue warnings that suggest potential rest areas after several hours of driving.
Recap the ride – use the built-in dash cam to create a cool video of your next road trip with the Travelapse feature. It can capture your long, scenic drives. And lets you use the free Garmin VIRB app on your compatible smartphone to create a short video.
Voice-activated navigation – need directions? Just say the word and Garmin DriveAssist features voice-activated navigation responds to your commands and then tells you exactly where you need to go.
Garmin Real Directions – easy-to-understand driving directions use recognisable landmarks. Buildings and traffic lights in addition to spoken street names. Guiding you as if your best friend is sitting in the passenger seat. No more squinting to read distant street signs. Just listen for Garmin Real Directions to tell you – ‘turn left after the petrol station’, or ‘turn right after the red building.’
What’s in the box?
Garmin DriveAssist 51 LMT-D sat nav with lifetime maps and digital traffic
Vehicle suction cup mount
Vehicle power cable/lifetime traffic antenna
Quick start manual
You can buy the Garmin Drive Assist 51LMT-D EU Sat Nav here and if you fancy winning one for yourself, just enter via the rafflecopter below. Good luck!
Terms & Conditions
- Firstly, this promotion is open to residents of the UK only.
- No purchase necessary.
- By entering the prize draw entrants agree to be bound by any other requirements set out on this page.
- Entry is only available online. No responsibility can be accepted for entries not received, only partially received or delayed for any reason.
- Entries that are incomplete, defaced or damaged will be deemed invalid.
- Entries must not be sent through agencies or third parties. Any such entries will be invalid. No trade or multiple entries.
- No responsibility will be accepted for entries lost, delayed or damaged in transmission.
- Winner details will be publicly announced if permission is granted.
- Competition closes at 12am on 28th June 2019. Entries received after this time and date will not be entered into the draw.
- The prize is a Garmin Drive Assist 51LMT-D EU Sat Nav with Dash Cam.
- Prize details are accurate at the time of promotion; the promoter reserves the right to substitute the prize for one of greater or equal value.
- Consequently, the decision of the promoter in all matters is final and binding.
- The Promoter reserves the right to withdraw the promotion due to circumstances beyond its control. Neither Vivre Le Rêve™ nor any other respective agents involved with this promotion. Shall be liable for any failure that is caused by something outside its reasonable control. Such circumstances shall include, but are not be limited to. Weather conditions, fire, flood, hurricane, strike, industrial dispute, war, hostilities. Political unrest, riots, civil commotion, inevitable accidents, supervening legislation or any other circumstances relating to Force Majeure.