Perfect for a Sunny Day – Strawberry Shortcakes
For the Strawberries
▪ 680g strawberries, hulled and sliced in half
▪ 4 tbsp sugar
▪ pinch of salt
▪ 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
▪ 250 millilitres double cream (or creme fraiche)
For the Biscuits
▪ 180g all-purpose flour
▪ 3 tbsp sugar
▪ 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
▪ 1/4 tsp baking soda
▪ 1/2 tsp salt
▪ 6 tbsp cold butter, cut into cubes
▪ 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
▪ 120ml cold buttermilk, plus a little extra for brushing
- Place a rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat oven to 190°C. Line a rimmed baking tray with foil so that the foil extends over the sides.
- Place sliced strawberries on the baking tray. Add strawberries, salt, and vinegar and toss to coat. Place in the oven and roast until softened through and bubbling, about 20 minutes. Tossing once during baking. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- To make the biscuits, increase the oven temperature to 200°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper and set aside.
- In a bowl, sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Use your fingertips to finish crumbling the butter into the flour.
- In a small bowl, combine egg yolk and buttermilk and beat lightly with a fork.
- Create a well in the center of the flour mixture and add the egg mixture all at once. Stir, the dough will be moist, but not overly wet.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured board and use a floured rolling pin to roll the dough to a 3/4-inch thickness. Use a 2-inch round biscuit cutter to cut the biscuits, re-rolling and pressing the dough to cut 6 biscuits total.
- Place 1-inch apart on the prepared baking tray and brush lightly with buttermilk.
- Bake for around 15 minutes, until golden brown on top. Whip the double cream, if you’re using.
- Allow to cool to a warm room temperature. Slice in half. Top with strawberries, then dollop some whipped cream or creme fraiche on top, and the top biscuit. Enjoy your strawberry shortcakes!
Use our hashtag!
I am so excited that you are making a recipe and would love to see how it turns out. Make sure to use the hashtag on social media!