For the Cake:
- 230g butter, at room temperature
- 350g granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon zest
- 300g all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 large eggs
- 80ml fresh lemon juice
- 250ml buttermilk
- 10 large strawberries, hulled and sliced
For the Icing:
- 230g butter, softened
- 625g icing sugar sugar
- 2 tbsp whole milk
- 4 large strawberries, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and spray two 9-inch round baking pans with baking spray.
- In bowl of stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment, place the butter, sugar and lemon zest. Beat until light and fluffy.
- In a separate bowl, mix together dry ingredients and set aside.
- With the mixer on low speed, add the eggs, one at a time. With the mixer still running, add the lemon juice. Mixture will start to look curdled, but don’t worry, it isn’t. Add one third of the dry ingredients and 125ml of the buttermilk.
- Mix, then stop and scrape the sides of the bowl. Repeat, adding another third of the dry ingredients and the remaining 125ml buttermilk.
- Mix, then stop and scrape. Add the remaining third of the dry ingredients and mix until completely combined and the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the prepared pans. Bake the cakes for 25-30 minutes, or until a tester inserted in to the centre comes out clean. Let the cakes cool before removing from their tins.
- While the cakes are cooling, make the pink lemonade icing. Combine the butter and icing sugar in a large bowl or standing mixer. Mix together on medium speed until pale and fluffy, this should take about 3 minutes. Add the milk and strawberries and mix on high speed until the icing is very fluffy, pale pink in color with flecks of strawberry.
- Place one of the cakes onto a plate; generously spread with icing and top with strawberry slices. Repeat with the remaining layer of cake and icing. Ice the sides of the cake. Put in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes to allow the cake to set.
- Serve at room temperature.
Use our hashtag!
I am so excited that you are making a recipe and would love to see how it turns out. Make sure to use the hashtag on social media!