Today has been a very good day at Vivre Le Rêve HQ, because we’ve been testing out cupcakes! We took part in The Canderel Sugarly Taste Test Challenge to see if our family and friends could taste the difference between our Raspberry & Vanilla Cupcakes made with granulated sugar or Canderel Sugarly.
Now, I’ll admit that I’d never even thought about using a sweetener instead of sugar whilst home baking, it’s really such a simple switch that can really bring down the total calorie amount within a dessert, I wish I’d been aware of it sooner. The recipe we followed was Canderel’s Raspberry & Vanilla Cupcakes, it makes 12 and they are only 107 calories per cake. I mean a cupcake for 107 calories? I had to try this.
Raspberry and Vanilla Cupcakes
An easy all in one method – these look super cute and low on calories!
Makes 12 | Prep 15 mins | Cook 25 mins
175g/6oz low fat spread
75g/3oz Canderel Sugarly plus extra for dusting
100g/3 ½ oz self-raising flour, sieved
1 tsp baking powder, sieved
1 tsp vanilla extract
250g punnet raspberries
You will need a 12 hole patty tin, lined with paper cases
- Add the low fat spread, eggs, Canderel Sugarly, flour, baking powder and vanilla extract to the bowl of the food mixer and beat until creamy and well combined.
- Stir through the raspberries then divide the mixture into the paper cases using a teaspoon. Put in the oven and bake for 20-25 mins or until pale golden and risen and springy to the touch.
- Remove from oven and transfer to a wire rack and leave to cool completely before serving.
- Dust with a little Canderel Sugarly to serve.
If you wish to decorate these, mix 150g half fat cream cheese with 2 tbsp. Canderel Sugarly, spread on cooled cakes and top with a fresh raspberry – you will however increase the calories!
Fancy some chocolate cupcakes? Reduce the flour to 75g and add 25g of dark cocoa!
|Sat Fat (g)||1.7|
To mark the launch of new Canderel Sugarly, a zero-calorie sugar substitute which looks, tastes and feels just like sugar; Canderel have commissioned a piece of research looking at the UK’s relationship with sugar and the daily battle we face when it comes to resisting temptation. The new research revealed that almost half of Brits (48%) are addicted to sweet treats and can’t live without them and that 3/4 of us have tried to give them up, but 30% admitted to only lasting a few days before caving in. Brain activity taste testing has proved that sweet treats prepared with sweetener, perform as well as and in many cases better than sugar. This is at a time when Action on Sugar warns that as well as being “a major cause of obesity”, there is “increasing evidence that added sugar increases the risk of developing type 2 diabetes, metabolic syndrome and fatty liver”
Fortunately, you’ll be pleased to hear that Canderel Sugarly is the closest thing to sugar since sugar. It tastes, looks and feels like sugar, so you can now enjoy a delicious sweet taste, just like sugar, but without all the calories. With all the benefits of zero calories and the delicious taste and crunchiness of sugar, Canderel Sugarly is truly versatile. For those who are trying to make small healthier changes within their diet or lose weight, replacing sugar with a low-calorie sweetener is the smallest and easiest change you are able to make and be able to stick to it. In fact, 86% think that Canderel Sugarly is as good as or even better than sugar!
Firstly, we started by adding low fat spread, eggs, Canderel Sugarly, flour, baking powder and vanilla extract to a bowl and beating it until creamy and very well combined together.
Following that we stirred through the raspberries and divided the mixture between the cake cases using a teaspoon.
They were placed into the oven for 20-25 minutes at 180℃ (Fan assisted) until they were golden brown and had risen.
The cakes were then transferred to a wire rack to cool completely before decorating. We decided to dust half of them with Canderel Sugarly and the other half we decorated with a mixture of 150g half fat cream cheese and 2 tbsp of Canderel Sugarly and then topped them with a fresh plump raspberry.
When we made up the second batch of cupcakes we replaced Canderel Sugarly with twice the amount of granulated sugar. Again we dusted half of the cupcakes with sugar and iced the other half. The other half were iced using the following recipe and topped with a raspberry:
- 110g Butter (Softened)
- 225g Cream Cheese
- 225g Granulated Sugar
- 1tsp Vanilla
So, the stage was set and all participants were asked whether they preferred the cupcake in the blue or green cake case. And, drum roll please, the verdict was 8/10 for Canderel! I know, you’re thinking, sure, she has to say that! But they were definitely of a higher standard than the others, our participants said they tasted virtually identical but the green cased ones pipped the blue ones to the post because they had held their shape better. No soggy bottoms here at Vivre Le Rêve, nope.
I think it’s pretty fascinating that half a teaspoon of Sugarly is equivalent in sweetness to a teaspoon of sugar, but it contains zero calories – compared to a teaspoon of sugar, which contains 20 calories. That means you could save up to 100 calories a day and 700 calories in a week just by replacing sugar with Canderel Sugarly in your hot drinks alone!
If you’d like to win a jar of Canderel Sugarly so that you can take the taste test yourself, just enter via the Rafflecopter form below. The winner will be contacted directly by email after the 12th October 2016, best of luck!
This competition is now closed.
Thank you to all of you that entered, the winner has been contacted directly so be sure to check your inbox!
- This promotion is open to residents of the UK only.
- No purchase necessary.
- By entering the prize draw entrants agree to be bound by any other requirements set out on this page.
- Entry is only available online. No responsibility can be accepted for entries not received, only partially received or delayed for any reason.
- Entries that are incomplete, defaced or damaged will be deemed invalid.
- Entries must not be sent through agencies or third parties. Any such entries will be invalid. No trade or multiple entries.
- No responsibility will be accepted for entries lost, delayed or damaged in transmission.
- Competition closes at 12am on 12th October 2016. Entries received after this time and date will not be entered into the draw.
- The prize is a jar of Canderel Sugarly.
- Prize details are accurate at the time of promotion; the promoter reserves the right to substitute the prize for one of greater or equal value.
- The decision of the promoter in all matters is final and binding.
- The Promoter reserves the right to withdraw the promotion due to circumstances beyond its control. Neither Vivre Le Rêve™ nor any other respective agents involved with this promotion shall be liable for any failure that is caused by something outside its reasonable control. Such circumstances shall include, but are not be limited to, weather conditions, fire, flood, hurricane, strike, industrial dispute, war, hostilities, political unrest, riots, civil commotion, inevitable accidents, supervening legislation or any other circumstances relating to Force Majeure.