Raspberry Muffins with Crumbly Topping
FOR THE TOPPING
- 40g butter, chilled and chopped
- 50g plain flour
- 2tbsp sugar
- 2tbsp chopped pecan nuts
FOR THE MUFFINS
- 320g plain flour
- 2tsp baking powder
- ½tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of cinnamon
- 150g caster sugar
- 1tsp finely grated orange zest
- 300ml buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 100g butter, melted
- 150g fresh or frozen raspberries
- Heat the oven to 190°C. Grease a 12-hole cake tin or line with paper cases.
- To make the topping, rub the butter into the flour with your fingertips, until it looks like breadcrumbs. Mix in the sugar and pecans.
- To make the muffins, sift the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, salt, cinnamon and sugar into a bowl. Add the orange zest and make a well in the centre.
- Whisk together the buttermilk, eggs and melted butter. Pour into the well in the flour mixture and stir until the ingredients are just combined. At this point the batter should not be smooth. Quickly mix in the raspberries.
- Spoon the mixture evenly into the cake tin. Sprinkle over the topping and bake for 20-25 minutes, until the tops are golden. Cool in the cake tin, then turn out onto a wire rack.
Use our hashtag!
I am so excited that you are making a recipe and would love to see how it turns out. Make sure to use the hashtag on social media!