Classic Homemade Tomato & Chilli Soup
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 1 red chilli, seeded and finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 600g ripe tomatoes, quartered
- 1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1l your choice of stock
- 1tbsp chopped basil, to garnish
- Olive oil, to garnish
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan.
- Fry the onion, chilli, and garlic for about 5 minutes. Add the fresh tomatoes and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Add the tinned tomatoes, the stock and 250ml of water.
- Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool a little. Purée the soup in batches with a hand-held blender.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve hot with crusty bread, garnish with the basil and a drizzle of olive oil.
Use our hashtag!
I am so excited that you are making a recipe and would love to see how it turns out. Make sure to use the hashtag on social media!