Rose’s Lactose Free Eggs Benedict – How Do You Like Your Eggs In The Morning?
Unfortunately for my dear husband, he is lactose intolerant. Which generally means that when my son & I start to tuck into a gorgeously rich creamy brunch, like Eggs Benedict, he looks on forlornly. Whilst he munches on something sensible like muesli with almond milk. The poor guy certainly misses dairy.
However, he now claims to have fallen in love with me all over again because I have developed a recipe for Dairy Free Hollandaise Sauce, and let me tell you, it’s delicious!
Ingredients (Makes 4 halves)
- 3 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 4 large free range eggs
- 2 toasting muffin
- 4 slices of ham (We love Serrano)
- 2 egg yolks
- 80 ml almond milk
- 30 ml water
- A pinch of Salt
- Half a Teaspoon of Lemon Juice
- A pinch of Cayenne Pepper
- A pinch of Mustard Powder
- A pinch of Paprika
- 60 g dairy-free margarine (I used Flora Dairy Free)
- Using a bowl on top of a pan of boiling water, add all the ingredients except for the dairy free margarine. And whisk until well blended.
- Cook on medium heat until it starts to thicken, making sure to stir often.
- When it reaches a thickened consistency, remove from the heat and stir in the dairy free margarine. Make sure you add the dairy free margarine last, making sure to add it as is instead of melting it first, otherwise the sauce will most likely curdle.
- It cools down very quickly, so keep warm until ready to use and continue to stir often.
- Sprinkle a tiny bit of paprika on top of the sauce for prettiness!
Method (Putting It All Together)
- Bring a saucepan of water to the boil and add the vinegar. Break the eggs into 4 separate coffee cups. Slice the muffins in half and toast them.
- Swirl the water briskly to form a vortex and slide in an egg. Cook for 2-3 mins.
- Repeat with the other eggs, one at a time, re-swirling the water as you slide in the eggs. Spread Dairy Free Hollandaise sauce on each muffin, scrunch a slice of ham on top, then top with an egg. Spoon over the remaining Lactose Free Hollandaise Sauce and serve at once.