How to Make Play Doh
This one never fails to impress in our house, it’s the same recipe we’ve used for almost a decade. It’s a fab rainy day activity that most children will be able to put together themselves with a little parental supervision. You’ll be pleased to hear that you don’t need any cream of tartar and you won’t need to cook it. Here are the step by step instructions:
You will need:
- 1 cup of cold water
- 1 cup of salt
- 2 teaspoons of vegetable oil
- 3 cups of flour
- 2 tablespoons of cornflour
- food colouring
- Gather together all your ingredients.
- Put the dry ingredients in a bowl and then slowly add water. Mix until it forms a nice dough.
- It should now be nice and easy to pick up and mould – add more flour if it is too sticky and more water if it is too dry. Knead it well with your hands.
- Then the fun begins! You can store your playdough in an airtight container when you have finished playing and in the fridge in zip lock bags if you want it to last even longer.
You can add any food colouring to your play doh and glitter to make it sparkly. Why not try a drop or two of essential oil to make it fragranced? Top Mommy / PTA tip: Play doh also goes down very well at school fairs. Make a large batch and package up portions into clear bags, tie with a pretty ribbon for a pretty and original thing to sell on a stall.