Easy Caramelised Onion Chutney Recipe
This is our favourite caramalised onion chutney recipe, it’s super easy to make even for a beginner and should make up 4 x 8oz jars.
- 7 medium red onions
- 2 medium shallots
- 1 medium white onion
- 1 sweet pepper (grilled until black, peeled, seeded and diced)
- 1 red chili, seeded and diced
- 270ml balsamic vinegar
- 50ml red wine vinegar
- 220g dark brown sugar
- A stick of cinnamon
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 1 large sprig of rosemary, leaves picked and chopped
- olive oil
- Peel and chop the onions and shallots into chutney size pieces, add olive oil to a pan add the onions, bay leaves, cinammon and rosemary.
- Cook for approximately 20 mins on a low heat until the onions are golden and soft, add the chilli and pepper cook for a further couple of minutes.
- Add the vinegar and sugar, simmer on a low heat until thick and chutney like.
- Spoon into sterilised jars*. Can be left for 4-6 weeks to develop flavour.
*When it comes to sterilising jars, a quick google will tell you that there are several ways to do it. We find that the laziest and easiest way is to use the dishwasher. Just fill your dishwasher with your clean jars (if using old jars, you will need to rinse them out first). Set your dishwasher to the highest possible setting and put them through a cycle. Leave to cool slightly in the dishwasher and remove each one as you need it.